Kenwood Radios Frequently Asked Questions
Tell me about the Kenwood ProTalk®
- Available in VHF or UHF
- 2 Watts of Power (The TK-3302U16P model has 4 watts)
- 2, 8, 15 or 16 Channels (depends on the model)
- Die Cast Aluminum Chassis
- Polycarbonate Casing
- Removable Antenna
- Highly Durable
- Meets Military Specifications 810 C, D, E, and F for low pressure, high and low temperature, temperature shock, solar radiation, rain, humidity, salt fog, dust, vibration, and shock. Also meets IP 54/55 for dust and water intrusion.
Is it compatible with my old radios?
- YES, fully compatible with these Motorola series:
- XTN series
Note: All of these radios operate on the “DOT and Star” frequencies – the same as Kenwood’s.
The radios must be matched up VHF to VHF or UHF to UHF.
Do Kenwood Radios have PL tones and DPL tones?”
(Private Line and Digital Private Line respectively)
- YES, Kenwood has 39 PL and 83 DPL (matched to Motorola’s PL and DPL Codes)
What is the ProTalk® warranty?
- 2 years (double that of Motorola’s) back to top
Does the radio come with any accessories?
- A Lithium-Ion or Nickel-Metal Hydride Battery (“L” models have Li-Ion)
- A Drop-in 3 Hour Fast Charger
- A High Efficiency Removable Antenna
- A Spring Loaded Belt Clip
How long will the battery last?
- The KNB-29N battery, included with the radio, will last up to 18 hours on a single charge. The KNB-45L battery, supplied with “L” model radios will last up to 22 hours on a single charge. With the rapid rate charger supplied with every radio the batteries will fully charge in less than 3 hours. back to top
How far will the radio talk?
- The radio is able to talk up to 6 miles line of sight, 250,000 square feet indoors, or up to 20 floors in a high rise building (trees and buildings reduce the outdoor distance the radio will talk and the distances will vary depending on whether a VHF or a UHF radio is used.)
- Conditions 1.5-watt (TK-3230), 2-watt (TK-2300VP/3300UP), 4-watt (TK-3302U16P), 5-watt (TK-2302V16P)
- Open areas without obstructions - Up to 4 miles (6.4km)
- Up to 6 miles (9.6km)
- Up to 7 miles (11.2km)
- Residential areas (with buildings), Up to 1.5 miles (2.4km), Up to 2 miles (3.2km)
- In steel and/or concrete reinforced buildings - Up to 200,000 sq. Ft. (18,580 sq. m), Up to 250,000 sq. Ft. (23,220 sq. m), Up to 350,000 sq. Ft. (32,510 sq. m)
- In high-rise buildings - Up to 15 floors, Up to 20 floors, Up to 30 floors
Range and Coverage
- UHF 1.5 Watt Up to 5 miles Up to 225,000 sq.ft. Up to 17 floors
- UHF 2 Watt Up to 6 miles Up to 250,000 sq.ft. Up to 20 floors
- UHF 4 Watt Up to 7 miles Up to 350,000 sq.ft. Up to 30 floors
- VHF 2 Watt Up to 6 miles Up to 220,000 sq.ft. Up to 13 floors
- VHF 5 Watt Up to 7 miles Up to 300,000 sq.ft. Up to 18 floors
Talk range will vary based on terrain, conditions and type of radio.
What are some of the useful features of the radio?
- Channel Scan
- Super Lock
- VOX (voice activation to be used with headsets)
- Call Alert Tone
- Time Out Timer
- Battery Save
- Low Battery Warning
Why should I buy the Kenwood ProTalk® over the competition?
- The ProTalk® has a die cast aluminum chassis, the competition does not.
- The ProTalk® has a polycarbonate casing, the competition has an ABS casing (more brittle).
- The ProTalk® has a 2 year warranty, the competition has a 1 year.
- The ProTalk® can last up to 22 hours on a single charge, the competition lasts 13 hours.
- The ProTalk® comes stock with a rapid charger (less than a 3 hour charge time,) the competition takes between 10 and 13 hours to charge.
- The ProTalk® has the capability of voice channel announcement, the competition does not
- The ProTalk® has a removable antenna with an option for a low profile antenna, the competition has a fixed antenna which if it breaks, the competition must be sent in for a repair (at least $50 labor).
- Kenwood has been known for the quality and clarity of the Car Stereo and Home Audio products for years, the same quality goes into the speakers of the two way radios. Kenwood has put the technology into a radio that is clearer than the competition, is more durable than the competition, and has a longer warranty.